You will need…
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked brown rice ( I used Uncle Ben’s 90 second rice)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
For the homemade tomato sauce…
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, sliced thinly
- Two 28 oz. cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 4 large basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place the whole head of cabbage in the water (trust me!).
- Turning it every few minutes until the leaves look soft.
- Cut the leaves from the stem & carefully peel off one by one, placing on a paper towel, while in the water.
- Cut one inch of the stem off the leave so it will be easily packaged.
- Empty the large pot of water & place back on medium heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add the oil & garlic to the large pot, let cook for five minutes, stirring & not allowing the garlic to burn.
- Add two basil leaves & cook for one minute.
- Add the whole tomatoes, two more basil leaves & salt & bring to a boil.
- When boiling, reduce heat & simmer for 45 minutes, stirring & crushing the tomatoes along the way.
- While the sauce is cooking, combine the rice, beef, egg, milk, garlic, onion, salt & pepper, mix well.
- Stuff each cabbage leaf & fold cabbage leaves over once then close like a package.
- Place the stuffed cabbage in a 9 x 13 dish, seam side down, covered in olive oil to reduce sticking.
- Once all stuffed cabbage are in the dish, cover them with the tomato sauce, you will most likely use half. Place the rest of the sauce in the freezer & use at a later date for so many things; chicken parm, mozzarella sticks, meatballs, spaghetti squash, bolognese sauce.
- Place the stuff cabbage in the oven & bake for 45 minutes. Enjoy!
Adapted from mrshappyhomemaker.com & kitchme.com