Surgery: Part 3

Surgery: Part 3

June 8, Thursday. Oh, I will get through this, I thought as I woke up and the pain was significantly less than yesterday. It was a good feeling. The intense pain was no longer present except for the sharp pain I felt under my left breast. Is it my breast still? I mean, it looks like it, just no nipple, a scar across, but hey, other than that, it’s my boob! It’s a cute little bump. The doctor filled them with 240 cc, which is quite a bit more than normal. I’ve googled it and without any true confirmation, it’s about a B, maybe large A? Holy crap. Guys my bra size before was 32FF (!!). No one really believes me when I say that because I never really showed them off, because I looked like a hoe because they were so big. I think? I’m not sure. 

My age is truly, truly on my side for every aspect of this journey and I have become thankful for it. I woke up and Kim needed to help me get up by putting his hand in the middle of my back and pushing. As I sat up, the sharp pain really hit me. The implant seemed to drop as I stated before. Not significantly but I think it is on top of the drain, or the drain is on top of it, OUCH.

The drains, do you know what I am talking about? They are called Jackson-Pratt drains. There’s a video on there, you don’t have to watch that, lol. I think I stated before, I have been told, when you have surgery, or really even cut yourself, the body sends fluid to that site with protein and other things to help it heal. However, there is so much fluid as this is a major surgery, that the body has nowhere to put it and it will just pool up and that is not good therefore the drains help. I have 2 drains on each side, Kim calls me an octopus. I am like, I don’t even know, a science experiment. So, there are two drains on each side, one on the bottom of the breast, the other on the top and they are legitimately stitched into my body. It’s pretty amazing. They need to be drained morning and night, recorded and when they individually total less than 30 ml in 24 hours, they are ready to come out.

I was up around 7:30 am. Noreen was helping me empty the drains, Nurse Noreen. No hesitation at all. You have to strip them to get the blood clots out and reduce blockage. So, you hold the tube as close to the stitching as possible, without touching it, because INFECTION, SO FUCKING SCARED OF INFECTION. Well, first you wash your hands for 15 seconds and dry them with paper towels. You take small alcohol swabs to help it pull easier, not for the alcohol portion of it. You then open them up, pour them out, measure and squeeze the air out, fold in half and pop the top back on to create the slow pull of fluid again. It’s pretty crazy. The color should start out red and then get lighter and lighter until a clear yellow. I can’t believe I have drains coming from my body. MSK gave me a pink bra made specifically for this, they have little holders for the drains. I had gauze over my breasts and the stitched in drains. The nurse told me we should take the gauze off and then close the bra back up and let it air out. I wasn’t going to do anything until the doctor called to confirm, as they said they would the next day.

Aunt Noreen brought a bell, yup a real bell, for me (I actually did use it twice as I couldn’t really yell). She asked me if I had a tray for eating in bed, I said no and said maybe it is best for me to not have that as it will help me get out of bed. She said she would order one and have it shipped to the house, thank goodness!! Ate about 6 of my first meals in bed. 

I was served perfectly cooked scrambled eggs and an english muffin with butter in bed with some fruit after draining. Just the word, drain, ew. There is truly nothing like the perfect scrambled eggs, which are different for everyone. For me, a little wet with salt and pepper, mmmm, now Chef Noreen. I fell asleep and then woke up around 1:30 pm. Oh, lunch time, peanut butter and jelly with a side of antibiotic. I am taking an antibiotic 4 times a day the entire time I have the drains in. Infection is really scary especially when you have so many random things in your body. No more oxycodone for me. Extra strength Tylenol, however, I will be taking it regularly and I think that’s VERY ok. Also taking colace, another anti inflammatory, so many pill bottles in the house. 

The PA of the plastic surgeon called. She asked if we looked at the incision sites yet and I said no. I wasn’t sure if we should put gauze back on and she said yes. Ok, great. It was time to do that. I was dreading it. Yes, I did see my boobs in the hospital however not in my bedroom yet, the bedroom I share with Kim. Thankfully he was at work, I wasn’t ready for him to see it, even though he wouldn’t care. I started to cry and I stopped. Yes I’m starting to accept it, however, my boobs are goneeeeee and I have two scars across my chestttttttttt. Shit. Okay, I kept going, everything looks good, some bruising but no redness, phew. I stood up and looked in the mirror, not bad, not bad. Changed the gauze and velcroed me backed up with the other bra, they give you two. Relief. 

For dinner, Kim picked up some soup and made grilled cheese, ate half of everything, it was quite delicious. Drain and sleep. 

June 9, 2017. Friday. Still an octopus and it’s pretty annoying. I can’t sleep on my side or stomach and I only sleep on my side or stomach, although Kim says sometimes I fall asleep on my back, who knew?? I bought this wedge from amazon, it really helps the first few days, you literally can’t get up on your own without pain or unless you are pure muscle and can pull yourself up with your abs, surprisingly, I can’t do that. Another day, another drain session. More eggs for breakfast in bed and then I went downstairs for a little stroll, like from the front door to the back door, then back upstairs. I was told to keep moving to get the fluid to drain. I was also told to stay still so it doesn’t drain too much. Dr. Heerdt confirmed to keep moving because, once the drains are out, if you start moving a lot and fluid builds up, no good, no good. I think I had more peanut butter and jelly for lunch, mmmmm. 

Meg and Sam stopped over with some yummy food; taco zucchini boats, eggs muffins, chickpea salad, CHEEZ ITS, all delicious. Then Kathleen stopped by with some goodies including chocolate covered blueberries! Kim’s obsessed with them. Maybe took a nap after that, dinner was zucchini boats. Drain and sleep. 

June 10, 2017. Saturday. Happy wedding day to my college roommate Britty! Sadly I couldn’t make it, because, ya know. Woke up and decided I would do the drains myself, it was time. It was pretty easy, and honestly gross and cool all at the same time. Pulled some clots through as they were blocking the draining process, grosssss and coooooool. Breakfast. Then it was time to get out of the house. I got dressed, wearing a button up dress that kind of hid my drains but there was clearly something under there. Sigh. I put on my brown wig and that was about it. Gosh, I haven’t worn make up in a long time. We walked outside and I bunched my drains up like I was pregnant and held it like pregnant ladies do, and I did this the entire time. LOL. It’s about a 5 minute walk, iced coffee and walked home, changed, back in bed.

Pregnant with drains.

Mom and Nate came over and brought Wegmans subs, ever had them? So goooood. A Wegmans is opening up near us on July 23… at 7 am… AND I CANNOT WAIT. I love Wegmans. We hung out in my room for a while, snuggle time. When they came, there was a package outside the house, Nate brought it up. It was a packaged fridge basically, huh?? Assorted gourmet chocolate covered strawberries from one of my co-workers, thanks Chrissy!! They were amazing. 

Mom and Nate left and it was time to relax. Hillary was up for the weekend for Angie’s birthday (HBD Angeeee). She came over before the dinner and hung with Kim and I while we ate pizza, mmmmm pizza! Ed and Aunt Noreen went out to dinner in town, reduce the cabin fever for Auntie N. They were going to the same place Hillary was going for dinner, Hillary obviously excited to see Ed, two peas in a Phd pod. Hillary left for dinner and I think Kim and I went up to bed and watched Suicide Squad. Mehhh, mediocre movie but entertaining. Sleeps.

June 11, 2017. Sunday. Hillary was coming over as well as Ed. Ed brought over bagels and cream cheese and Hillary was bringing over meatballs for tomorrow night and an egg bake for breakfast; eggs, turkey sausage, peppers, onions, potatoes, cheese, soooo yummy. Nicole came a little while after and we just hung out, it was nice to be downstairs for a long period of time. Mel stopped over as well. Everyone left around 11:30 am, time for Kay to go to bed. 

Rebeka came up around 3 pm. I asked her to get me some button up shirts. They didn’t really work as my drains are just, noticeable. Oh well. Mom also brought me a big white button up yesterday that actually kind of works. We hung out on the couch for a while then Kim came home then Melanie came over. Melanie was going to the grocery store and came back after with water bottles and THREE BEN AND JERRY’S. Amazing, thanks Melanie. Sleeps.

June 12, 2017. Monday. Aunt Noreen was leaving this morning at 8:30 am. Peg stopped by with some quiche and iced coffee from the local bakery, mmmmmm. She was picking something up. Aunt Noreen packed all of her stuff up and it was on the road she went. So thankful for everything she did. Ed got her a good bottle of wine and I sent her a spiralizer, ya know, the vegetable noodle maker. I thought she would enjoy it. Kim had off today but he was sleeeeeeeeeepy. He is a working machine and the one day he has off he sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. I hung out on the couch watching tv and blogging. Kim woke up and I was ready to get back in bed for a nap. Just a lazy day for both of us (as many of them are for me right now and will be in the near future). We had Hillary’s meatballs for dinner; Kim made a meatball sandwich and I just had them with buttered bread on the side, which is the best. Drain and bed. 

Delicious fruit salad Hillary also brought.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s